SocaLoca Terms of Service
1. The services we provide
Our mission is to organise football by giving people the power to build local communities through football and bring the world closer together. To help advance this mission, we provide the products and services described below to you:
Provide a personalised experience for you:
Your experience on SocaLoca is unlike anyone else’s: from the posts, endorsements, teams, matches, tournaments, events, ads and other content that you see on your Page Feed. We use the data that we have – for example, about the connections you make, the choices and settings you select, and what you share and do on our Platforms (websites and apps) – to personalise your experience.
Connect you with people and teams that you care about:
We help you find and connect with people, teams, academies, coaches, scouts and others that matter to you across our Platforms. We use the data that we have to make suggestions for you and others – for example, teams to join, tournaments to attend, footballers to follow and like, showcases to trial for, matches to watch and people who you may want to become friends with. Stronger ties make for better communities, and we believe that our services are most useful when people are connected to people, events, and teams that they care about.
Empower you to express yourself and communicate about what matters to you:
There are many ways to express yourself on SocaLoca and to communicate with connections, teammates, fans, coaches, friends, family and others about what matters to you – for example, sharing status updates, photos, and videos across the SocaLoca Platforms that you use, as well as inviting friends to your team, hosting matches or creating tournaments, or just adding content to your profile.
Help you discover content, products and services that may interest you:
We show you ads, offers, and other sponsored content to help you discover content, products, and services that are offered by the many businesses and organisations that use the SocaLoca Platforms. Section 2 below explains this in more detail.
Combat harmful conduct, and protect and support our community:
People will only build communities on SocaLoca if they feel safe. We employ a dedicated team, and use advanced technical systems to detect misuse of our products and services, harmful conduct towards others and situations where we may be able to help support or protect our community. If we learn of content or conduct that is harmful to others and our products and services, we will take appropriate action – for example, offering help, removing content, blocking access to certain features, disabling an account or contacting law enforcement. We share data with other MatchMakR Companies when we detect misuse or harmful conduct by someone using one of our Platforms. We strictly adhere by the provisions of the Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006, an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom.
Research ways to make our services better:
We engage in research to develop, test and improve our products and services. This includes analysing the data we have about our users and understanding how people use the products and services on our Platforms, for example by conducting surveys and testing and troubleshooting new features. Our Data Policy explains how we use data to support this research for the purposes of developing and improving our services.
Provide consistent and seamless experiences across SocaLoca Platforms:
Our Platforms help you find and connect with people, teams, academies, coaches, scouts and others that are important to you. We design our systems so that your experience is consistent and seamless across the different SocaLoca Platforms. For example, we use data about your interactions to make you more visible to scouts, academies and recruiters.
Enable global access to our services:
To operate our global service, we need to store and distribute content and data in our data centres and systems around the world, including outside your country of residence. This infrastructure may be operated or controlled by MatchMakR Ltd., Soca Loca Sdn. Bhd., or its affiliates.
2. How our services are funded
The vast majority of our services are free. 95% of our Platforms users do not have to pay for our products and services. We do however charge a nominal fee for users who choose to increase their allocated bandwidth and for players and coaches that subscribe to an advanced profile.
We do however charge a service fee to professional tournament organisers, as well as for some scouting activities.
When you use the SocaLoca products and services as covered by these Terms, you agree that we can show you ads that businesses and organisations pay us to promote on our Platforms. We use your personal data, such as information about your activity and interests, to show you ads that are more relevant to you.
Protecting people’s privacy is central to how we’ve designed our ad system. This means that we can show you relevant and useful ads without telling advertisers who you are. We don’t sell your personal data. We allow advertisers to tell us things such as their business goal, and the kind of audience that they want to see their ads (for example, people between the ages of 18-35 who like live football). We then show their ad to people who might be interested.
We also provide advertisers with reports about the performance of their ads to help them understand how people are interacting with their content on our Platforms. For example, we provide general demographic and interest information for advertisers (for example, that an ad was seen by a woman between the ages of 20 and 30 who lives in Durban and likes futsal) to help them better understand their audience. We don’t share information that directly identifies you (information such as your name or mobile telephone number that by itself can be used to contact you or identifies who you are) unless you give us specific permission.
We collect and use your personal data in order to provide the services described above for you. You can learn about how we collect and use your data in our Data Policy.
3. Your commitments to SocaLoca
We provide these services to you and others to help advance our mission. In exchange, we need you to make the following commitments:
1. Who can use SocaLoca
We are a football community and we try to make SocaLoca available to everyone, but you cannot use SocaLoca if you are:
- You are under 13 years old.
- You are a convicted sex offender.
- We’ve previously disabled your account for breaches of our Terms or Policies.
- You are prohibited from receiving our products, services or software under applicable laws.
To use SocaLoca, you agree to:
- use the same name that you use in everyday life;
- provide accurate information about yourself;
- create only one account (your own) and use your profile for personal purposes (unless you are a tournament organiser, academy, professional football club or scout;
- not share your password, give access to your SocaLoca account to others or transfer your account to anyone else (without our permission).
2. What you can share and do on SocaLoca
We want people to use SocaLoca to express themselves and to share content that is football related, but not at the expense of the safety and well-being of others or the integrity of our community. You therefore agree not to engage in the conduct described below (or to facilitate or support others in doing so):
1. You may not use our Products to do or share anything:
- That breaches these Terms.
- That is unlawful, misleading, discriminatory or fraudulent.
- That infringes or breaches someone else’s rights, including their intellectual property rights.
2. You may not upload viruses or malicious code, or do anything that could disable, overburden or impair the proper working or appearance of our products and services.
3. You may not access or collect data from our Products using automated means (without our prior permission) or attempt to access data that you do not have permission to access.
We can remove or block content that is in breach of these provisions.
If we remove content that you have shared for breach of our Terms, we’ll let you know and explain any options that you have to request another review, unless you seriously or repeatedly breach these Terms or if doing so may expose us or others to legal liability; harm our community of users; compromise or interfere with the integrity or operation of any of our services, systems or products; where we are restricted due to technical limitations; or where we are prohibited from doing so for legal reasons.
To help support our community, we encourage you to report content or conduct that you believe breaches your rights (including intellectual property rights) or our terms and policies.
3. The permissions you give us
We need certain permissions from you to provide our services:
1. Permission to use content that you create and share: Some content that you share or upload, such as photos or videos, may be protected by intellectual property laws.
You own the intellectual property rights (things such as copyright or trademarks) in any such content that you create and share on SocaLoca Platforms you use. Nothing in these Terms takes away the rights you have to your own content. You are free to share your content with anyone else, wherever you want.However, to provide our services, we need you to give us some legal permissions (known as a ‘licence’) to use this content. This is solely for the purposes of providing and improving our Products and services as described in Section 1 above.Specifically, when you share, post or upload content that is covered by intellectual property rights on or in connection with our products and services, you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free and worldwide licence to host, use, distribute, modify, run, copy, publicly perform or display, translate and create derivative works of your content. This means, for example, that if you share a photo on SocaLoca, you give us permission to store, copy and share it with others such as service providers that support our service or other SocaLoca products you use.This licence will end when your content is deleted from our systems.
You can delete content individually or all at once by deleting your account. Learn more about how to delete your account. You can download a copy of your data at any time before deleting your account.When you delete content, it’s no longer visible to other users; however, it may continue to exist elsewhere on our systems where:
- Immediate deletion is not possible due to technical limitations (in which case, your content will be deleted within a maximum of 90 days from when you delete it);
- your content has been used by others in accordance with this licence and they have not deleted it (in which case, this licence will continue to apply until that content is deleted); or
- Where immediate deletion would restrict our ability to:
- investigate or identify illegal activity or breaches of our Terms and Policies (for example, to identify or investigate misuse of our products and services, and/or systems);
- comply with a legal obligation, such as the preservation of evidence; or
- comply with a request of a judicial or administrative authority, law enforcement or a government agency;
- in which case, the content will be retained for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which it has been retained (the exact duration will vary on a case-by-case basis).
- In each of the above cases, this licence will continue until the content has been fully deleted.
2. Permission to use your name, profile picture and information about your actions with ads and sponsored content: You give us permission to use your name and profile picture and information about actions that you have taken on SocaLoca next to, or in connection with ads, offers and other sponsored content that we display across our products and services, without any compensation to you. For example, we may show your connections that you are interested in an advertised tournament or have liked the profile of a player who is sponsored by a particular brand. Ads like this can be seen only by people who have your permission to see the actions that you’ve taken on SocaLoca.
3. Permission to update software that you use or download: If you download or use our software, you give us permission to download and install updates to the software where available.
Limits on using our intellectual property
If you use content covered by intellectual property rights that we have and make available in our products and services (for example, images, designs, videos or sounds that we provide, which you add to content that you create or share on SocaLoca, we retain all rights to that content (but not yours). You can only use our copyrights or trademarks (or any similar marks) as expressly permitted by our Brand Usage Guidelines or with our prior written permission. You must obtain our written permission (or permission under an open source licence) to modify, create derivative works of, decompile or otherwise attempt to extract source code from us.
4. Additional provisions
1. Updating our Terms
We work constantly to improve our services and develop new features to make our Products better for you and our community. As a result, we may need to update these Terms from time to time to accurately reflect our services and practices. We will only make changes if the provisions are no longer appropriate or if they are incomplete, and only if the changes are reasonable and take due account of your interests.
We will notify you (for example, by email or through our Products) at least 30 days before we make changes to these Terms and give you an opportunity to review them before they go into effect, unless the changes are required by law. Once any updated Terms are in effect, you will be bound by them if you continue to use our Products.
We hope that you will continue using our products and services, but if you do not agree to our updated Terms and no longer want to be part of the SocaLoca community, you can delete your account at any time.
2. Music Guidelines
You are responsible for the content you post, including any music that features in that content. Nothing in these terms constitutes any authorisation by us with respect to any use of music on any of our products or services. Use of music for commercial or non-personal purposes in particular is prohibited unless you have obtained appropriate licenses.
You may not use videos on our Platforms to create a music listening experience. We want you to be able to enjoy videos posted by your connections, however, if you use videos on our Platforms to create a music listening experience for yourself or for others, your videos will be blocked and your profile, team and or tournaments may be deleted. This includes when broadcasting live football matches.
Unauthorized content may be removed. If you post content that contains music owned by someone else, your content may be blocked, or may be reviewed by the applicable rights owner and removed if your use of that music is not properly authorised.
You may not be able to post or access videos containing music in every country of the world. We want you to be able to share videos with your connections and friends wherever they are, but any music in your video, if it is allowed at all, may not be available in all countries of the world.
3. Account suspension or termination
We want SocaLoca to be a place where people feel welcome and safe to express themselves and share their thoughts and ideas.
If we determine that you have clearly, seriously or repeatedly breached our Terms or Policies, we may suspend or permanently disable access to your account. We may also suspend or disable your account if you repeatedly infringe other people’s intellectual property rights or where we are required to do so for legal reasons.
Where we take such action, we’ll let you know and explain any options you have to request a review, unless doing so may expose us or others to legal liability; harm our community of users; compromise or interfere with the integrity or operation of any of our services, systems or products; where we are restricted due to technical limitations; or where we are prohibited from doing so for legal reasons.
If you delete or we disable your account, these Terms shall terminate as an agreement between you and us, but the following provisions will remain in place: 3.3.1, 4.3-4.6.
4. Limits on liability
Nothing in these Terms is intended to exclude or limit our liability for death, personal injury or fraudulent misrepresentation caused by our negligence, or to affect your statutory rights.
We will exercise professional diligence in providing our products and services to you and in keeping a safe, secure and error-free environment. Provided that we have acted with professional diligence, we do not accept responsibility for losses not caused by our breach of these Terms or otherwise by our acts; losses that are not reasonably foreseeable by you and us at the time of entering into these Terms; and events beyond our reasonable control.
We try to provide clear rules so that we can limit or hopefully avoid disputes between you and us. If a dispute does arise, however, it’s useful to know up front where it can be resolved and what laws will apply.
If you are a consumer and habitually reside in a Member State of the European Union, the laws of that Member State will apply to any claim, cause of action or dispute that you have against us, which arises out of or relates to these Terms(“claim”), and you may resolve your claim in any competent court in that Member State that has jurisdiction over the claim. In all other cases, you agree that the claim must be resolved in a competent court in England & Wales, and that UK Law will govern these Terms and any claim, without regard to conflict of law provisions.
1. These Terms make up the entire agreement between you and MatchMaKR Ltd regarding your use of the SocaLoca Platforms. They supersede any prior agreements.
2. Some of the products and services that we offer are also governed by supplemental Terms. If you use any of these products and services, you will be provided with an opportunity to agree to supplemental terms that will become part of our agreement with you. For instance, if you access or use our products and services for commercial or business purposes, such as broadcasting live matches, selling products, organising tournaments, scouting and recruiting players, you must agree to our Commercial Terms. To the extent that any supplemental Terms conflict with these Terms, the supplemental Terms shall govern to the extent of the conflict.
3. If any portion of these Terms is found to be unenforceable, the remaining portion will remain in full force and effect. If we fail to enforce any of these Terms, it will not be considered a waiver. Any amendment to or waiver of these Terms must be made in writing and signed by us.
4. You will not transfer any of your rights or obligations under these Terms to anyone else without our consent.
5. You may designate a person (called a legacy contact) to manage your account if it is memorialised. Only your legacy contact or a person who you have identified in a valid will or similar document expressing clear consent to disclose your content upon death or incapacity will be able to seek disclosure from your account after it is memorialised.
6. These Terms do not confer any third-party beneficiary rights. All of our rights and obligations under these Terms are freely assignable by us in connection with a merger, acquisition or sale of assets, or by operation of law or otherwise.
7. You should know that we may need to change the username for your account in certain circumstances (for example, if someone else claims the username and it appears unrelated to the name that you use in everyday life). We will inform you in advance if we have to do this and explain why.
8. We always appreciate your feedback and other suggestions about our products and services. But you should know that we may use them without any restriction or obligation to compensate you, and we are under no obligation to keep them confidential.